I recently happened to be at the Student Care Center on campus while they were having an "open house" for incoming U of C students. At this event, you could get cookies and juice, condoms and lube, or something called an "abstinence pack." I must say I did not take one of these bags, but they appeared to contain bubble bath and other small items deemed to represent attractive alternative activities to sex - together with text explaining that 35% of U of C (undergraduate?) students chose to practice abstinence in any given year.
My initial reaction was that this was a complete waste of money. Condoms are "rationed" by the Student Care Center; instead of being able to take them free from a display, you must request them from a staff member every time you want them. Packets of lube are not included in these condom packets, so you have to ask for those, too - and, actually, until this visit I didn't realize lube was available at all. Anyway, it seemed to me that, since there is absolutely no health-based reason for distributing "abstinence packs" and since condoms and lube are in limited supply, the expenditure of any Center funds on the "abstinence" items is inexcusable. Surely there is a legitimate reason to educate people about the abstinence option, and I guess to convey that "it's "OK to be abstinent," through the provision of textual materials and counseling. But free giveaway bags, just so kids with conservative values won't feel slighted when their sexually active classmates receive free goodies?
Of course, it is possible that the abstinence pack contents are supplied by some creepy right-wing campus outreach project, which would in theory absolve the university of having wasted our student health fee on these items. And I'm not planning to ask, because I think the place has changed for the better and I very much like and trust my doctor, who runs the place. But I still think the abstinence packs are, at the very least, questionable. Just because only some students need to make use of a provided resource does not mean that an equivalent must be provided for other students; in fact, it's just that kind of logic that gives multiculturalism a bad reputation.
What do you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment