I've got to admit to my dear friend Jesse that he was right in saying, when I joined HRC in October, that I'd surely be quitting again, or at least cursing, the next time they did something totally fucked-up.
*
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 23:17:10 -0600 (CST)
From: Timothy *** {tim***@***}
To: steven.fisher@hrc.org
Subject: What is the "difference in management philosophy"
Dear Mr. Fisher [Communications Director],
I'm a 25-year-old gay man in Chicago, and I wrote you in October with the
message that after years of discomfort with HRC's approach to the
movement, I had joined the organization because of your decision to
endorse only a gender identity-inclusive version of ENDA. After I asked
you to forward my letter to Ms. Jacques, I received personal letters from
several members of the HRC board.
I am very concerned, though, to hear about the departure of Cheryl
Jacques, and your press release does not make clear what "difference in
management philosophy" prompted the board to ask her to leave. I am
especially concerned that HRC could be backing down from the forceful
demand for equality and recognition of the needs of ALL queers that Cheryl
Jacques's leadership seemed to me to represent.
Without a clearer understanding of what the change is, I certainly won't
feel comfortable, for instance, giving gift memberships to my relatives
this holiday season, or encouraging my friends to do the same. Can you
please clarify what precisely this is about?
Sincerely yours,
Timothy ***
Chicago, Ill.
*
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 00:31:03 -0500
From: steven.fisher@hrc.org
To: timsw@midway.uchicago.edu
Subject: RE: What is the "difference in management philosophy"
First, thanks for your thoughtful e-mail. We understand a lot of people
want greater clarity about Cheryl's resignation.
I'm sure you've worked in a lot of large organizations and you know that
sometimes management and employees don't see eye to eye. That often
leads to differences that can't be reconciled. We respect Cheryl and
admire the work she did over the past year and, out of respect for her
and for HRC, we are not going to get into details around her
resignation. Be assured that those differences were around management
philosophy only. We remain as commited as ever to our mission and goals,
including a transgender-inclusive ENDA.
We are focused on the future and new strategies to have a direct
conversation with the American people about our lives and our families.
This means engaging straight allies, people of faith and finding new
approaches to talking to the American people about issues that affect.
You'll be hearing more about this new strategy in the weeks and months
ahead.
Thank you again for taking the time to write,
Steve
No comments:
Post a Comment