Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Hillary knows something about defending marriage

Tonight I had occasion to watch Ted Kennedy, Orrin Hatch, and Hillary Rodham Clinton speak on the Senate floor on the Federal Marriage Amendment. Kennedy warmed my heart by voicing his support for the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court's ruling in the Goodridge case, but Hillary definitely wins the style point for noting, early in her remarks, that she has had occasion, in her public life, to defend marriage . . . .

(I have searched in vain for an online media report of this comment. Anyone who finds one will get a special prize from me!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hiya, Tim! Fran here. So the measure was rejected, eh? Here's a link to the roll call vote tally. Notice there were two rather glaring abstentions. I know Kerry said he'd go back and vote if he needed to, but c'mon.