"I was always the glamorous thing, on and off stage," Sylvester said. "I really believed for a certain time that I was Josephine Baker. In my attitude, in my everything, I was Josephine Baker. I'd go out with a headdress and a sort of silly costume, and men would open and close doors for me, light my cigarettes. I wouldn't get out of a car until someone opened the door for me."
- Joshua Gamson,
The Fabulous Sylvester, p. 58
If this State has decided not to allow same-sex couples to marry, it might be quite reasonable to ameliorate some of their practical concerns in such areas as taxation, health care, inheritance and the like. Such reasonableness does not substitute for the need to find a rational basis for denying same-sex marriage in the first place....
- SF County Superior Court Judge Richard Kramer
2 comments:
Thanks for the post about "The Fabulous Sylvester" I had the priviledge of seeing him perform in the early 1980's . I got his auatograph. He was quite shy, but wow, did he give a show. A true disco diva.
By the way, I never asked you your opinion of the Gamson book. I have it but haven't read it yet. Opinions?
Post a Comment