Here's the t-shirt that Brad and I bought in LA. I wore it to a party that he took me to, where I knew absolutely no one, and it sort of made a nearly instant bond between me and a few other people at the party - people for whom that degree of rage over the war and the election feel natural and comfortable.
So many people I know think about the election almost all the time. I'm definitely one. One has to work hard, actually, to keep its place in one's life under control.
In so many ways, this presidential campaign is following a highly unusual and unprecedented course, and the electorate is perhaps more polarized three months before election day than it has been in decades.
Meanwhile, on Castro Street in San Francisco, "Just Married" t-shirts are on the Super Sale rack out front, going for $10 (see my photo below), and greeting cards tailored to married queer couples are also deeply discounted. Merchants cannot sell these shirts in large numbers, in other words, while San Francisco's case against the California Supreme Court is being litigated and City Hall is under court order not to license any more same-sex couples.
Anti-gay constitutional amendments are on the ballot in 13 states, including my home state of Michigan, and we are generally expected to lose in 12 out of the 13. The last state is Oregon, and I'll be traveling there in November with a bunch of volunteers from NGLTF.
No comments:
Post a Comment